Someone once told me, “I have so much I want to do with my life before I am married.”
I now understand this
concept. I can say that I am content in my singleness. And it’s
interesting … I took a
Spiritual Gift Assessment and my #2 is Celibacy, which shocked and kind of
scared me at the same time because I was thinking .. God does this mean I’m
supposed to be single forever?
Celibacy: "to voluntarily remain single without regret and maintain control over sexual impulses so as to serve the Lord without distractions."
But I prayed and talked to some of my Christian friends about celibacy and discovered that this is one of my strengths RIGHT NOW, not necessarily for the rest of my life. I am honestly content during this chapter in my life with serving God in my singleness. I know I am doing exactly what God wants me to do. I am DISCOVERING who God wants me to be and that is all that is important right now.
"Our duty is not to decide what we want to be or do but to DISCOVER on the basis of our capabilities and gifts what God wants us to do and be. Contentment lies not in being first but in being faithful to fulfill the function God has called us to in the body of Christ."
(The Pursuit of Godliness, p. 92)
Over a year ago, I thought I was ready to get married, but I
am glad that God told me NO. I have discovered that I was NOT even close to being ready for marriage. I was
blinded by everyone else getting married and engaged that I thought that was
the next step, but it wasn’t.
I have learned SO much about myself: likes/dislikes, hobbies, passions, etc. And I have much more to learn!
- I am so blessed to be leading my middle school girls' Bible study and doing life with them. And one of my girl's was baptized a few weeks ago :)
| FUSE 2012: Aug. 12-15 |
| Abby got baptized! |
- New passion: learning how to surf- which is just amazing, exhilarating and fun! And peaceful to just BE out in the ocean apart from the world watching the sunset.
- I started a volleyball team with my co-workers and it's been so much fun getting to know them better!
- I’ve started hardcore running! Making goals to complete a 10K in November and half marathon in March. I just ran a 5K this past weekend. It was awesome to support the "TaTas" and a huge plus: I got my personal best time (24.53).
| Tanya and I at "Run for the TaTas" 10/6/12 |
- I am so thankful that God gave me the ability to run.. and even walk.. because some of my patients are going through so much and cannot even walk. It's something we all take for granted. My job is really eye-opening sometimes. I love it.
God
has provided me with the opportunity to serve Him in so many ways. And I
am definitely on my way to DISCOVERING God's purpose in my life.
"'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.'"-Isaiah 55:8-9
I have seen you grow so much as a person since you've taken on your "new single role" and I am so proud of you! I cannot wait to see what God has in store for you throughout this chapter of your life! Love you!
ReplyDelete